Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Elkhorn Image Captured on Film

Description & Date: In May of 1998, I was commissioned to photograph what remained of the Elkhorn Mill that processed precious metal ores around the turn of the 20th century. It was once the largest timber frame building in the state of Montana. The company that commissioned me, used the photographs to promote their business of architectural salvaged timbers. The photograph was taken with Hasselblad camera with 50mm distagon lens on tri - x professional black & white film. The photo was taken from the interior of the dilapidated mill toward the ghost town of Coolidge, MT. There was no glass left in the windows to cast a reflection. The film was processed in D-76 black & white developer at 70 degrees for 9 minutes. As I was printing the proofs, the hair on the back of my neck stood up as the image appeared on the photographic paper. I checked the negative to make sure the image existed and then I immediately left my studio until the following morning. Location: Big Hole Valley, Near Wisdom, MT
Submitted by Steve Helmbrecht



No comments: